I am a victim of sexual assault, but I am NOT:
- A Rolex watch or a fancy car in a bad neighborhood. I am not the basis for a ridiculous victim-blaming metaphor based on theft. I am a person, not an object.
- Your sister or daughter or wife. I exist independently of my relationships with and importance to men. It is not wrong that I was sexually assaulted because I am someone’s daughter. It’s wrong because I am a human being.
- To blame. I didn’t ask for this. I didn’t want it. It doesn’t matter what I wore or if I was intoxicated or if I flirted. I never wanted this. No one ever would.
- A punchline. Rape is not a joke. Rape is not funny. If you think it is funny, it’s probably because you’re a rapist.
- Impure. I am not worthless or dirty or sullied. The person who did this to me is.
- An opportunity to play devil’s advocate. The devil has enough advocates. They’re called 90% of our society, and they’ve already said every single thing your puny, unimaginative brain could possibly think of.
- Going to be silenced. Not by my abuser, and not by you or anyone else.
[TW: Rape] Better late than never? Public spotlight on rape in the US military
mafattiee asked: not only is optimistic-pokemon-trainer a misogynistic rape-apologist mra asshat, he also fetishizes asian women. "Things I reblog: Hot Asian Women." further proof that this guys is a total loser/creep. i'm sorry for what he said to you and i completely support your original post!! rapists do deserve to have their lives ruined, and your commentary when that guy talked about false rape accusations was admirable.
optimistic-pokemon-trainer is an enormous douchecanoe.
You can spend millions in programs designed to prevent violence, rape, drug sales, gang activity, but they are an eternal presence. Some people do things regardless or have mental issues, it’s unavoidable.
Saying “teach men not to rape” because some men rape, is like telling women not to shoplift because some women shoplift. Or telling black people not to steal because some black people steal. You’re inadvertently creating stereotype threat for men . Simply tell everyone not to rape or sexually assault, cause both sexes are capable , I also say this from a place of personal experience as blackmail can also be very effective for women to get sex without true consent.
So how else do you suggest we end rape? Because teaching people NOT to rape is going to be way more beneficial to society as a whole than teaching women not to get raped. I’m sorry if that hits your delicate white boy feelings.
“Teach men not to rape” is not just because some men rape. It has nothing to do with the percentage of men who rape. It’s because men have the PRIVILEGE TO RAPE AND GET AWAY WITH IT. It’s because society already teaches men to rape.
Also, blaming violence on “mental issues” is ableist.
Putting all other issues of the OP’s terrible post aside, rape should definitely not be blamed on ‘mental issues’. That’s not a symptom of mental illness, it’s merely an ill informed assumption based on the stigma that convinces people that people with mental disabilities are violent. It seems to be much more of an entitlement problem, and as theconcealedweapon said, it’s also an issue of rapists being able to get away with it.
The fact that the majority of rapists are men led to the creation of that stereotype. Don’t blame that shit on “teach men not to rape” because that is bullshit. Blame the men who’re out there raping women and making them unsafe.