A test for white people
Answer this question:
What does it mean to you to be white?
If your answer was “nothing,” then you have A LOT of reflection, critical thinking, and research to do before you ever even TRY to relate and talk to PoC.
Well, why not.
It means I’m a part of the ideal “whiteness”, and gain everything that comes with that. (Regardless of whether I am aware of it or want it to begin with.) It means that society will look at me and not make a plethora of snap judgments (or think it’s justified to act on said judgements) about who I am as an individual based on my race. I means that I could, say, color my hair red or nurse in public, and have no one call me “ghetto”. It means I won’t see dangerous skin lightening products where I live (generally), ever experience someone telling me to comb my hair if I were to leave it natural, or say that I can’t wear a certain fashion because of my race.
It means I have a statistically higher chance of snagging a job and avoiding arrest/tickets. It means that I can pretty much look anywhere—movies, billboards, etc, and not feel alienated or ugly (based on race, I mean—the entire body image thing comes into play regardless, of course). I won’t be profiled in a store, people won’t roll their windows up when I walk by, and I won’t get commentary about who I choose to date.
It also means that I’m one of the women who are considered in the feminist movement(s), while women of color are vastly ignored (alternatively, seen as an animal/ an ‘other’ to “save”, which happens a sickening amount).
And it’s all really frustrating because there is no biological basis for race and humans are just so scared and hateful about those who look different. Never-mind that so many don’t understand the difference between race and ethnicity, and how race does exist, because society created and reinforces it daily. Ignoring that there is a hierarchy of races (though it varies in detail from place to place, a good example is Cuba’s race relations compared to the States) and that whites stand at the top is merely casting aside any historical and contemporary race relation issues.
I am fortunate enough to have made friends (via tumblr, go figure) who are women of color. All it takes it some listening and self-education to try and understand as best you can about what it’s like. I can fully recognize that I’ll never know first-hand, and never experience racism.
**Post written from the female & woman POV, and excludes a novel’s worth of specific topics that could be covered.
***It also means I’m allowed to get mad about society without being slapped back down. Unless I’m mad about the patriarchy, anyway.
A for you.
And I’m adding a couple of star stickers because you’re doing better than a lot of white people in this post omg
- muffinavashti19 reblogged this from thinkspeakstress
- muffinavashti19 likes this
- starkidinvasion likes this
- thepajmahal reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- animatormama reblogged this from valenglory
- animatormama likes this
- if-our-worlds-collide reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- heartuntamed likes this
- ohpauline likes this
- tiny-shiny-hearts likes this
- necropantser reblogged this from princekarkat
- jhenne-bean likes this
- bigmouthbigideas reblogged this from chalkytalkie and added:
- basedempoweredethnicwoman reblogged this from angrier
- basedempoweredethnicwoman likes this
- moshiiimoshiii likes this
- liberalchristian reblogged this from anne-frank-was-a-babe and added:
- theniggaskaramazov likes this
- slytherpuff-lanasstuff reblogged this from meeptoyousir
- meeptoyousir reblogged this from valenglory and added:
- alone-family likes this
- elkian reblogged this from princekarkat
- revolucion-en-la-cama reblogged this from chalkytalkie
- revolucion-en-la-cama likes this
- chrissydaniels likes this
- lunarbox likes this
- chalkytalkie reblogged this from princekarkat
- revelationcity likes this
- kelseymoffat reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- bluntlyblue reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- jrups likes this
- blanketfrt reblogged this from thinkspeakstress and added:
- gingerfeminist reblogged this from activistaabsentee
- gingerfeminist likes this
- reasonedoverreaction reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- queer-mannequin reblogged this from unnecessaryemotion
- agamicturtle likes this
- alliwantisdiamondsandlove reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- fluterr likes this
- feminist-space likes this
- inkstainedknitter likes this
- seanpadilla likes this
- xlackofluxuryx likes this
- jumpinghalos likes this
- thiskidoesart reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- vaxtorino likes this
- zaynrand likes this
- thevigilantson reblogged this from princekarkat and added:
- sweetlittlemoon likes this