The Nation: Why Hilary Rosen Is Right
For most of today, the homepage of Fox News has featured a huge picture of the Romney family with the headline: “5 Kids, 16 Grandkids, and Dem Adviser Charges Ann Romney Has ‘Never Worked a Day in Her Life.’ ” The outrage, which has spanned across mainstream media, Twitter, Facebook and beyond, is over Hilary Rosen’s comments to Anderson Cooper yesterday that Mitt Romney’s wife, Ann, has “never worked a day in her life.”
There’s no doubt that Rosen, a CNN contributor and Democratic political consultant, made a gaffe in providing such a juicy sound bite. But her message — in context — was right on.
Rosen was responding to Mitt Romney’s constant trotting out of Ann when he gets a question on women’s issues:
What you have is Mitt Romney running around the country saying, well, you know, my wife tells me that what women really care about are economic issues. And when I listen to my wife, that’s what I’m hearing.
Guess what, his wife has actually never worked a day in her life. She’s never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school and how do we — why do we worry about their future?
There’s nothing there about stay-at-home moms, or the idea that that raising children isn’t work. Rosen was referring to the fact that Ann Romney — an incredibly rich and elite woman — likely does not understand the economic concerns of most American women. Again, it was unfortunate choice of words — but she wasn’t wrong.
- lunchwiththedevil reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- sex-with-madness reblogged this from enby-rainbow-skye
- sdbritt7 likes this
- lordraziel likes this
- shrewdbard likes this
- do-i-know-this-girl likes this
- msalaniusramblings likes this
- emememorie likes this
- maranimh likes this
- cangal reblogged this from divineirony
- cangal likes this
- monstermousy reblogged this from lesshumansmorecats
- kriszensufi reblogged this from divineirony
- thatwellspokentoken reblogged this from maraschino-virgin
- maraschino-virgin reblogged this from lesshumansmorecats
- lesshumansmorecats reblogged this from divineirony
- minihazard10 likes this
- enby-rainbow-skye reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- radical-dame likes this
- adventuresinlearning reblogged this from seriouslyamerica and added:
- mquester reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- vaxtorino likes this
- missbananafish said:EXACTLY. She came from a well to do family and married into one. That sure sounds like being out of touch with the economic reality of women to me.
- missbananafish likes this
- aidancross likes this
- dragonbadgerhugs likes this
- snarksandkisses likes this
- nashhha likes this
- gutter-snipe reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- sarahlee310 likes this
- chrissydaniels likes this
- citizenkerry likes this